Packaging Corporation of America – Hackettstown, NJ Design Center
The PCA Hackettstown, NJ Design Center is seeking resumes for a Design Intern/Co-Op.
Reports to: Ed Hughes
Timeframe: January 2019 – June 2019
Location: Design Center - Hackettstown, NJ
Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is a world-class manufacturer of containerboard and corrugated packaging. Our focus on a single line of business not only differentiates us from our major competitors, but also helps us achieve levels of operational excellence that are highly respected within the industry.
At our Hackettstown, NJ location, a majority of the work we do involves the creative design and testing aspects of both Point-of-Purchase Displays and Primary Packaging for a variety of products. Our clientele ranges in confectionary, OTC pharmaceuticals, hand tools, sports equipment and many other industries. We are equipped with machinery to perform ISTA testing for primary and secondary packaging, as well as software to unitize pallet configurations. With PCA, you will be able to build a network of contacts within major corporations that will provide a base for your career as well as provided you with a more thorough understanding of how the Packaging Industry functions as a system.
• Use CAD software to design POP displays, primary packages, and shipping containers
• Use automated prototyping equipment to create mockups of proposed designs
• Perform shipping tests using ISTA testing equipment
• Report & document results & make recommendations
• Maintain testing equipment
• Interface w/ISTA & maintain certification of test equipment
• CAPE Strength & Pallet Utilization
Prepare shipments for design staff
• Create appropriate shippers for proposed corrugated designs
• Report & document design activities of design team
• Purchasing, office equipment maintenance & correspondence to support design center activities
Benefits to Student Participants
• Develop structural design skills with CAD software as they relate to packaging and displays
• Become familiar with various software applications
• Obtain unique packaging knowledge not available through class experience
• Interface with a variety of business groups, including our client base
• Tour a PCA manufacturing location
Currently seeking a Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Engineering/Science
Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
Experience with Microsoft Word applications, and CAD programs
Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
Planning and Organizing
To Apply: submit an application through ICPF
Additional Salary Information: Paid Hourly
Who We Are
At PCA, we think of ourselves as more than a box manufacturer. We are an ideas and solutions company. We seek to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. It just happens to be that corrugated products are our area of expertise.
So a partnership with PCA isn’t just about buying boxes. It’s about building a relationship with a knowledgeable, trusted, committed source; adding value to your business; and actively contributing to your success in the marketplace.
Whether you are looking for conventional shipping containers, custom-printed corrugated boxes, custom packaging or eye-catching retail visual displays, PCA is here to deliver the right packaging solution on time and on budget.
Why We Do What We Do
At PCA, our people are as sharp at posing questions as they are at providing answers. With good reason… We realize that the key to offering responsive customer service is never taking our customers for granted. That’s why at the same time you’re learning about our products and how we do business, we’re learning about yours.
So don’t be surprised if PCA people collaborate more than you’r...e used to, or engage you in conversations that go beyond flute profiles and stacking strength. For PCA people, it’s all about understanding customer service — doing our very best to give you the ideas and products that support your needs.